Saturday, May 25, 2013

Reading can be FUN!

One of my biggest goals for the year had been to make my students see that reading can be fun, and not just work. We can not only learn from what we read, but become engaged in the stories of others. We all have stories to tell.

As my 8th graders move on to high school next year, they must read one book from a summer reading list. When I introduced the assignment to my students, I was, of course, met with groans, and whines, and complaints. But as our discussion continued, we developed the idea to choose books as a class and create a summer Book Club - where we will meet once or twice a week to read together this summer. Snacks, books, and camaraderie will be a great learning experience for all of us.

My students know how important reading is to me, they understand how reading will set them up for success for high school and beyond, and the summer is a great time to continue our relationship with reading.


Continuing with reading YA Fiction books this year, I have discovered many good reads that I want my students to read as well:

The Matched Trilogy - Ally Condie


13 Reasons Why - Jay Asher

and next on my list is the Book Thief by Markus Zusak






No comments:

Post a Comment